3/5/13

Write a Powerful Resume - Part 1

10AM: HR sends me a short list of resumes.
12:30PM: Lunch break. Gulped down my sandwich and with a cup of coffee on one hand, I start going through each resume. I have about 20 minutes before I start working again.
12:50PM: I have skimmed through 10 resumes so far while being interrupted with phone calls, colleagues stopping by for a chat, and my 6 monitors streaming live market prices and news from around the world. I set aside the ones I want my team to meet for an interview. Now back to work.

I was previously a trader, and this is how I remember my days when our desk needed to add a headcount. My role in the recruitment process was to further narrow down the list from the human resources team and invite the prospects in for an interview.

So how do I optimize my short span of time to pick the right resumes? Assuming HR has already done the basic homework, I spend about 30 seconds going through the bullets under the candidate's work experience. What impact did they make? Is it relevant to our work here?

Then my eyes go to the extracurricular activities and this is the fun part. It shows the candidate's character. I want to know if this person would be fun to work with, given that I spend 12 hours in the office every day. Lastly, I look for relevant technical skills. Within 60 seconds, I will know if I want to talk to this candidate or not.

A powerful resume wins half the battle for you.

A powerful resume paints an attractive picture of who you are, and hints to your (overworked) recruiters at your future success in the job even before you get to the interview. There are 3 key principles to help you get started writing one.

1. Resume space is prime real estate.

As a property developer, would you waste a prime real estate area building low yielding assets? Only include critical information in your resume.

Even within your resume, be sure to prioritize the location. Most important achievements should be on the top of each experience section.

2. Resume sum of all parts equals a powerful story.

A resume is not simply a compilation of your past experiences. It has to deliver your story in a structured and compelling manner. The recruiter should be able to effortlessly understand your competencies and picture how you can become a good fit for the team.

3. 100% of resume should be about you.

Not about the company. Not about the school. It is about what YOU did and how you made an impact. What value will you bring to the team?

Writing a Powerful Resume will be a six part series. In the subsequent articles, we will discuss the pre-resume writing checklist, followed by an in-depth review of each of the work, education, extracurricular activities, and skills & interest section.

Enjoy!

LIBBLER is an online career prep platform. Users can find a comprehensive range of career tools and tutorials for free. Key offerings include professional resume builder, expert video tutorials, mock interview platform with common questions and sample answers, and the PDF Resume Starters Guide.

http://libbler.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment