12/6/10

How to Write a Strong Cover Letter - Associated Content

Are you having difficulty finding a job, earning interviews, or getting hired? If you are like most applicants, then take a look at your cover letter. Yes, cover letters are important  and necessary. I only hire candidates who submit cover letters. Why? Well, let me tell you. As a business professional, hiring manager, and person of many hats my time is limited. Cover letters give me another bit of valuable data about you before we meet. Most of the mistakes I see are easily avoided and can be lumped into three categories: Unprofessional, Inattention to detail, and Unmotivated. Do any of these categories sound flattering? I certainly do not think so. I review hundreds of applicants for each of my job postings and cover letters are great barometers of the total package.

Unprofessional

I am in the service industry and our customers expect and deserve excellence. Therefore, professionalism is a hallmark and cornerstone to our success. Your cover letter needs to reflect this characteristic or it will be filed accordingly.

1. Inappropriate email address
a. Do not use mustangsweetie@yahoo.com if you want me to contact you.
b. An inappropriate email address gives me the impression of immaturity and lack of wherewithal, both of which do not help to convey professionalism.
c. You need to create an email account specifically used for job hunting. Primarily, it is used to keep emails from getting lost in the sea of Facebook notifications and the latest offerings from your local retailer.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment